As long as there has been language there has been lying, perhaps longer.
- Poisonless animals are able to mimic the behavior of other animals that are poisonous and others have fake eye spots on their wings.
- “Don’t worry I’m not going to hurt you” has been spoken for milennia by the guy who in fact is going to hurt you.
- “There is no such organization as the Mafia” has been announced by the Mafia in New York City for decades.
- Tyrants have lied and said they were great, immortal, divine,ever-victorious as long as there have been tyrants.
- In the United States academic racists said African-Americans were biologically fit for slavery.
- Scientific misogynists said women were by nature hysterical and loony prudes in white robes have argued masturbation leads to insanity.
The power to tell the truth logically carries with it the power to lie.
To say otherwise is naive.
Worse, it is disorienting, and therefore paralyzing. If truth itself has now morphed into something weird and strange and incomprehensible then how on Earth would one go back to the days of truth?
Lying, as old as the hills, needs to be fought back with the same kind of weapons that have fought all the other kinds of malicious behavior that are equally sempiternal: violence, fraud, backstabbing. Law, accountability, impartial questions, justice. And so on.
Don’t freak out.