- If they don’t believe it already, there is no reason your telling them to believe it will make them believe it
- If they believe it because you say so then they are going to be dependent upon you in an unhealthy way
- You might encourage them to lie to you about what they believe
- You might encourage them to lie to themselves about what they believe
- You might be wrong and you will have misleading them on your conscience.
It might be okay to convince people about factual matters, or matters in which they can check for themselves easily. But the “no convincing” rule definitely applies to questions of religious, artistic, or political opinion.